In 1769, this chapel and its cemetery was transferred from Adro dos Enforcados in Campo das Malvas to the spacious grounds of Hospital de Santo António. 

In 1836, this cemetery was extinguished and the chapel moved to the centre of the Hospital enclosure, and the cross with the image of the Lord of the Afflicted was placed in the chapel.